REGULATIONS FOR USE OF THE COLLECTIONS AND SERVICES OF THE MUNICIPAL PUBLIC LIBRARY IN WROCŁAW
§ 1 General rules
1. The collections of the Municipal Public Library in Wrocław, hereinafter referred to as MPL, may be shared with all interested persons according to the principles specified in the hereby Regulations.
2. The MPL reader has the right to:
- borrow the books and other media,
- use the collections shared on site,
- use the computers,
- use “Take away book” service
3. Borrowing the collections in computerized MPL branches is possible exclusively after presenting each time one’s reader card.
4. In the event of the loss of reader card, the reader should immediately report this event to the librarian, who will block the account. The account will be unblocked after purchasing a new card.
5. MPL is not responsible for using the reader card by third persons until the moment of reporting its loss by the owner.
§ 2 Reader registration
1. During the registration at MPL, the applicant should:
1) Polish citizens – submit personal identity card or another document with a
photograph and personal identification number (PESEL), fill out the
commitment card and having familiarized with the Regulations, sign it.
2) Citizens of other countries – submit passport or another document with a
photograph, fill out the commitment card and having familiarized with the
Regulations, sign it.
2. A minor reader may be registered at MPL by the parent or legal guardian, who signs
the commitment card in his/her name.
3. A person who has outstanding obligations towards MPL cannot be the guarantor of a
4. During the registration at MPL, the reader is obliged to submit his/her
5. A reader is obliged to immediately inform MPL about any changes of a place of
residence and other data specified in the commitment card.
6. A reader has the right to access his/her personal data and to correct them on the
conditions specified in the Act on Personal Data Protection.
7. Personal data of a reader shall be processed in order to: provide the possibility to use
the MPL collections, conduct the statistics and retrieve the borrowed library
collections and financial penalties charged for their retaining.
8. A reader who resigns from MPL services has the right to order the deletion of his/her
data from the register of readers, and MPL is obliged to delete those data provided
that the reader has returned all the borrowed materials and does not have any
obligations towards MPL.
9. Reader account which is not active for 5 years shall be deleted from the register of
readers and his/her commitment shall be voided, provided that the user has
returned all materials borrowed and does not have any commitments towards MPL.
§ 3 Sharing collections
1. The collections lent out may be used by persons who have filled out the commitment
2. The collections shared on site at the library may be used by persons who submitted a
reader card or a document with a photograph.
3. In a single MPL branch one may borrow the following number of media during one
1. books, audiobooks, 1 e-book reader, foreign language learning materials – 5
2. films, CDs, educational multimedia programs, PC games, 1 board game – 5 pieces
In the event of using the services of several MPL branches, a reader is allowed to
borrow maximum 15 pieces of media.
4. The total period of borrowing for individual media is:
1. for books, audiobooks, e-readers and foreign languages learning materials –
maximum 60 days:
1) the first borrowing period – 30 days
2) all subsequent renewals – maximally up to 30 days since the initial return
2. for films, CDs, educational multimedia programs, board and PC games –
maximally 10 days:
1) the first borrowing period – 5 days
2) all renewals – up to 5 days maximally
5. A reader on his/her own or with the help of the librarian may postpone the deadline
for the return of the borrowed media, provided that there is no demand on the side
of other users for them and that the deadline of return has not already passed.
6. MPL is allowed to shorten the borrowing period of each medium provided that there
is a particular demand for them.
7. While borrowing particularly valuable media, MPL collects a deposit equal to the
current market price.
8. A reader on his/her own or with the help of the librarian is allowed to order the
media which are already borrowed by other readers. At single occasion in each
branch a reader is allowed to order:
1. books, audiobooks, 1 e-reader, foreign languages learning materials 5 pieces
2. films, CDs, educational multimedia programs, PC games, 1 board game – 5 pieces
In the event of using library services in several MPL branches, a reader is allowed
to order maximally 15 pieces of media.
9. Ordered books may be collected by the reader within 7 days from the day of order
10. Other media ordered may be collected in 5 days from the day of order realization.
11. A reader is obliged to check on his/her own, whether the order has been already
12. A reader should pay attention to the condition of media before borrowing, and
report any noticed defects to the librarian.
13. Selected media should be registered and returned to the librarian on duty.
14. A reader is obliged to return the borrowed media without MPL notice.
15. Borrowed media shall be returned to the MPL branch from which they were
16. A reader shall be responsible for any damages arising from the loss, damage or
devastation of the media.
17. Compensation for the loss, damage or devastation of the media is equal to the
current market price.
18. A reader, upon consent of the branch manager, is allowed to provide another
medium in place of the lost one, however, its value should not be smaller.
§ 4 The use of computers
1. The use of computers installed in MPL is free of charge.
2. The right to use the computers installed in MPL is ensured for persons who have
filled out the commitment card and who do not have their account blocked:
1) in the computerized branches, a reader is obliged to submit his/her reader
card to the librarian on duty and to make an entry into the visitor book,
2) in the branches that lend traditional media, only readers registered in the
particular branch are allowed to use the computers. A reader is obliged to
announce himself/herself to the librarian and make an entry into the visitor
3. A reader who uses the computers is allowed to use them solely for informational
and educational purposes.
4. Computer stations may be used by one person only for one hour in a given
working day. Computer station left for over 15 minutes shall be made available to
5. In the event of a computer breakdown, hang up of the work of the computer, the
reader is obliged to inform the MPL employee without undertaking of an attempt
to repair it.
6. A reader is financially responsible for any damages of the equipment resulting
7. A user has the right to:
1) use the installed programs
2) use the Internet
3) make a reservation of the time of computer work
4) copy data to the electrical data carriers or print them. Printing is subject to
fees according to the price list attached to the Regulations.
8. A reader is not allowed to:
1) install programs and change the software configuration installed on the
2) use computers installed in MPL for games, chats, search for the content
incompatible with the current regulations or offending feelings of others
(pornography, racist content etc.),
3) perform actions infringing copyrights of authors,
4) use MPL computers and the Internet for conducting an economic activity or
9. The sound played during computer operation may be emitted only through
10. A reader is obliged to leave the proper order on the computer station he or she
11. Personnel of MPL has the right to control the compatibility of computer use with
the provisions of the Regulations. In the event of not respecting the conditions
specified in the Regulations, the MPL employee may revoke the right to use the
§ 5 “Take away book” service
1. “Take away book” service may be used by elderly, sick or disabled persons,
residing in the area of Wrocław, who have filled out the commitment card.
2. The willingness to use “Take away book” service should be reported in the library
located the nearest to the place of residence, via phone or third persons.
3. Home delivery is provided by librarians and volunteers.
4. Readers who use “Take away book” service borrow MPL collections according to
the provisions specified in the hereby Regulations.
§ 6 Charges
1. MPL is allowed to collect charges for: media overdue over the deadline specified in
the Regulations, for reprographic services, computer printouts and other as defined
by the hereby Regulations.
2. The amount of collected charges is specified by the price list attached to the hereby
3. Each payment made by the reader is confirmed with the receipt.
4. As specified in § 3, section 4, MPL collects the following charges for retaining of the
borrowed media over the deadline:
1) for books (including audio books) – PLN 0.20 for each book and each day after
2) for films, CDs, educational multimedia programmes, computer and board
games, e-readers – PLN 2.00 for each medium and each day after the
5. If a reader fails to return the borrowed media within the term specified in the hereby
Regulations, MPL shall block his/her account. Until the time of paying the obligations
towards MPL, the user account shall remain blocked; what is more, in the event of
failure to pay the charges due to the events specified in § 3, section 4, MPL shall pass
the matter onto the recovery proceedings.
§ 7 Final provisions
1. A reader is obliged to respect media and other assets of MPL and use them according
to their destination.
2. A librarian is allowed to refuse the service of a reader who does not respect the
provisions of the hereby Regulations, who infringes the common behaviour norms,
particularly one who is under the influence of alcohol or other narcotic drugs, who
acts loudly and aggressively and who does not respect the basic hygiene principles.
3. A reader who does not respect the provisions of the hereby Regulations, by way of
the decisions of MPL Director, may be temporarily or permanently, in drastic cases,
denied the right to use MPL services.
4. MPL is not responsible for personal belongings left unattended.
5. The MPL Director has the right to close the branch for a limited time or to reduce the
scope of its work due to breakdown, renovation, cleaning works, inventory of
collections or other important reasons.
6. Current announcements addressed to the readers are placed on the website
www.biblioteka.wroc.pl and in individual MPL branches.
7. Complaints and applications may be forwarded to the Director of Municipal Public
Library with its registered seat in Wrocław, ul Sztabowa 98.
8. Amendments to the hereby Regulations are forwarded to the readers via placing
them in all MPL branches. After 30 days from the provision of information about
changes, they are considered as having been familiarized by the readers.
Wrocław, 03.01.2018 D I R E C T O R